By Val Hernandez
Writer’s block happens to all of us, even to the best writers out there. The question is: how can we overcome it to tell our clients’ amazing stories effectively and successfully? In our profession, we regularly come up with fresh, new content to grab the attention of our key audiences. Whether we are crafting the perfect pitch, writing a press release to garner top-tier media attention or developing strategic messaging, writing is one of the most important aspects of our work as PR professionals in a deadline-driven industry.
Once you can get past this hurdle, you can effectively hone in on your creative writing skills. It can be a frustrating process, but there are several ways to combat a bad case of writer’s block:
- Location is key. In our daily lives, noise and distractions are all around us. It is essential to work in an environment that you are comfortable in. Whether you prefer to write in a quiet spot, on the couch or in the café down the street, find out what works for you.
- Make a playlist. Music has the ability to change our mood and inspire us. A great playlist can help you get in the writing zone.
- Jot down notes. Free writing can be a helpful step in the writing process. Making time to jot down your candid, open thoughts can be extremely motivating.
- Gather inspiration. Browse the internet for articles, read your favorite novel or open a magazine to draw inspiration from.
- Talk it out. Share your thoughts with a friend, colleague or family. Sometimes you are on the brink of a brilliant idea, but you need a little push in the right direction. Collaborating with others can also help you build upon your ideas.
- Take a break. Go for a walk, grab lunch or engage in an activity you enjoy. It’s important to take time for yourself and spend a few minutes to unwind and gather your thoughts before you dive into a task.
- Coffee. If all else fails, make a cup of coffee. When is coffee not the answer?
With these simple tips, writer’s block will be a thing of the past. If you’re looking for great communicators to amplify your organization’s incredible story, contact us at info@olivecreativestrategies.