At Olive Public Relations we know that writing the perfect press release is an art form that requires finesse, creativity, and a touch of magic. And when it comes to lifestyle PR, that art form becomes even more crucial. Below are some dos and don’ts we always keep in mind for our clients as we craft media-worthy press releases.
5 Things You Want to Do for a Successful Press Release
- Start with a captivating headline: The headline is the first impression the client makes, so we always make it count! A great headline grabs attention, piques curiosity, and entices the reader to delve further into the press release. We always make sure to stay creative, use strong action verbs, and make sure it accurately represents the essence of our client’s news.
- Craft a compelling lead paragraph: After a captivating headline, the opening paragraph should continue the momentum. Clearly and concisely summarize the key information, answering the who, what, when, where, and why questions, while still making it engaging to ensure the reader continues reading.
- Focus on the unique aspects: Lifestyle PR thrives on uniqueness. When we are crafting our press releases, we always highlight what makes your story stand out. Whether it’s an innovative product, a groundbreaking event, or a fascinating collaboration, emphasizing the special elements that will capture the interest of the client’s target audience is essential.
- Keep it concise and well-structured: A press release should be easy to read and digest. Depending on the client, sometimes we break up our content into paragraphs with clear subheadings, but not always.
- Include quotes and multimedia elements: Quotes inject personality and credibility into a press release. For our clients’ press releases we always include their perspectives and insights on the news we are announcing. Not only does this add a human touch to make the news more relatable, but it also really gives the reader better insight into the people behind the organization or the event taking place. Visuals are also everything! At Olive Public Relations we always incorporate eye-catching images, videos, or infographics that support your story. Visual content not only enhances the press release but also makes it more shareable on social media platforms.
5 Things You DON’T Want to Do for a Successful Press Release
- Use excessive words: While industry-specific language has its place, we like to keep press releases accessible and understandable for a broader audience. We avoid using excessive jargon that might confuse or alienate readers. Simplicity is key.
- Oversell or exaggerate: It’s essential for us to be enthusiastic about the exciting news, but it’s also important to never exaggerate or oversell. Using creative writing skills, we can stick to the facts and let the story speak for itself, but in a media-worthy way. Journalists appreciate authenticity and honesty.
- Neglect proofreading: Typos and grammatical errors are a big no-no, and staying consistent with APA formatting is a job in and of itself. Before sending anything out to journalists or even our clients we have the 3 Olive rule, meaning the Olive that wrote the press release must send it to 2 other Olives for review before we give it the green light!
- Neglect target audience: One size doesn’t fit all when it comes to PR. Tailoring press releases and pitches to resonate with a client’s specific target audience is our bread & butter. We have a knack for understanding journalists’ preferences, interests, and values to ensure the story we are pitching aligns with what they cover and what their audiences will enjoy and resonate with.
- Forget the pre-pitch: Press releases alone won’t guarantee media coverage. Creating a dynamic story angle to garner interest for your press release is always key.
In the competitive landscape of lifestyle brands, hiring a PR agency offers numerous benefits, and writing a press release and pitching it correctly is just the tip of the iceberg. From our expertise and industry knowledge to our media relationships and strategic planning capabilities, Olive Public Relations brings a wealth of resources to the table. We help lifestyle brands effectively communicate their stories, reach their target audience, and protect their reputation. By collaborating with us, lifestyle brands can optimize their time and resources, allowing them to focus on their core business while leaving the PR efforts in capable hands.